Monday, October 19, 2015

A Thousand Words...

I have always enjoyed writing and often found comfort in expressing my feelings through my writing.  If I am filled with emotion, positive and negative, taking the time to write them down brings me the greatest peace.  My favorite gifts have been the heartfelt hand written notes and cards from Charley.  I had noticed that the oldest daughter had inherited this love for writing, but I recently noticed that the second daughter also is a talented writer.  Shhh...  she doesn't know that I know this yet!

We had family friend turn 40 this week and her husband asked us all to write letters of memories, appreciation, or thoughts about her so he could print them all in a book for her gift.  My older girls each wrote their own letters and emailed them without sharing them with me.  When I had the chance to preview the book I was curious and I read their letters.  I was not surprised to read the first letter and the lovely thoughts that were shared, but when I got to child #2 I discovered that she has a beautiful talent that she has been hiding.  It made my heart happy to read her carefully constructed words that allowed you to see right into her heart.

These girls are so full of creative expression and I love the messages that they send me.  Tonight I received this message: "Are you awake?  I wish to discuss getting temporary hair dye in the red color for me.  I am willing to let you help pick out the color so it is acceptable.  But I want to try something new with my hair.  And it's temporary so it won't last that long."  This young lady is skilled at asking for what she desires by acknowledging any argument or concern she knows that we will have up front.  FYI - teaching kids to negotiate will back fire on you and often be used against you....

These girls are dangerous when they combine their powers.  They have mastered the art of putting together a well done PowerPoint presentation that includes back ground music to pitch ideas the Charley and I to request girls night parties, sleep overs with friends, and even family vacations.  They write the sweetest notes and text messages that make my heart happy.  I have often walked into their bathrooms to find love notes they have written to each other on their mirrors with dry erase markers.

I listened to a speaker talk about the Ripple Effect at the conference I am attending this weekend. The thoughts that he shared about how we interact with others and the impact it can have on our life and other people was something that really resonated with me after reading my girls kind words.  It reminded me of the importance of taking the time to truly appreciate those we love and sharing our thoughts and feelings with them.  I am blessed to have a husband that started writing me sweet notes when we were dating and still leaves them for me a few times a year.  I am thankful these girls are beginning to understand the richness of their words when they use them to share the feelings in their heart.  A thousand words could not adequately describe the love that I have for my family, but I have an eternity to keep trying.

2 comments:

  1. Writing is so important but I think most have been reduced to the texting "shorthand" that seems to me to be pretend emotion like 'lol'. I have a poem that a very special person wrote me what seems like forever ago. I read it often, and yes I shed a tear or two everytime. Thank you my special person, you do have a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing is so important but I think most have been reduced to the texting "shorthand" that seems to me to be pretend emotion like 'lol'. I have a poem that a very special person wrote me what seems like forever ago. I read it often, and yes I shed a tear or two everytime. Thank you my special person, you do have a gift.

    ReplyDelete